[openstack-dev] [ironic] OpenStack client default ironic API version

Mario Villaplana mario.villaplana at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 20:46:49 UTC 2017

Hi ironic,

At the PTG, an issue regarding the default version of the ironic API
used in our python-openstackclient plugin was discussed. [0] In short,
the issue is that we default to a very old API version when the user
doesn't otherwise specify it. This limits discoverability of new
features and makes the client more difficult to use for deployments
running the latest version of the code.

We came to the following consensus:

1. For a deprecation period, we should log a warning whenever the user
doesn't specify an API version, informing them of this change.

2. After the deprecation period:

a) OSC baremetal plugin will default to the latest available version

b) Specifying just macroversion will default to latest microversion
within that macroversion (example: --os-baremetal-api-version=1 would
default to 1.31 if 1.31 is the last microversion with 1 macroversion,
even if we have API 2.2 supported)

I have a patch up for review with the deprecation warning:
https://review.openstack.org/442153

Please comment on that patch with any concerns.

We also still have yet to decide what a suitable deprecation period is
for this change, as far as I'm aware. Please respond to this email
with any suggestions on the deprecation period.

Thanks,
Mario

[0] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ironic-pike-ptg-operations L30