[openstack-dev] [Sahara][infra] Jenkins based 3rd party CIs

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Mon Mar 6 19:05:18 UTC 2017

Telles Nobrega <tenobreg at redhat.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> we from Sahara use the compatibility layer with Zuulv2.5 and we are
> wondering if with the change to Zuulv3 this compatibility layer will still
> be maintained.
> If the layer is removed it will reflect into some changes on our side and
> we are looking for this information to identify how much work will be
> needed on our CI.

Hi,

If you are referring to the ability to run jobs in Jenkins, no, Zuul
will no longer have direct support for that.

If you are asking about using the zuul-launcher in Zuul v2.5 (which
reads job configurations in jenkins-job-builder and uses Ansible to run
jobs in the same way that Jenkins would), we won't have direct support
for that either (this is part of the reason we are not encouraging
people to use that).

However, in *either* case, we do expect to have some kind of automated
process to convert many jobs written in JJB.  Much of the code that we
wrote for Zuul v2.5 to translate JJB into Ansible should be able to be
reused for that purpose.  The output may not be optimal -- it will
likely be a series of bulky Ansible shell tasks, but we hope it will
accomplish much of the work in an automated fashion so that an operator
will be able to improve the result over time.

You may wish to keep an eye out for periodic updates to our progress
that Robyn Bergeron is planning to send out, such as this one:

  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-March/113148.html

-Jim