[openstack-dev] [i18n] [nova] understanding log domain change - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439500

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Mar 6 14:06:18 UTC 2017

On 03/06/2017 08:43 AM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 2017-03-06 14:03, Sean Dague  wrote:
>> I'm trying to understand the implications of
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439500. And the comment in the linked
>> email:
>>
>> ">> Yes, we decided some time ago to not translate the log files anymore and
>>
>> Does that mean that all the _LE, _LI, _LW stuff in projects should be
>> fully removed? Nova currently enforces those things are there -
>> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/e88dd0034b1b135d680dae3494597e295add9cfe/nova/hacking/checks.py#L314-L333
>> and want to make sure our tools aren't making us do work that the i18n
>> team is ignoring and throwing away.
>
> Sean, this was removed as followup to:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-i18n/2016-November/002574.html
>
> Let me copy Ian as i18n PTL,
>
> Andreas

That all seems reasonable, and I'm happy to follow the i18n team's lead
here. It is however a significant reversal of policy, and there is
substantial code infrastructure in projects (like Nova) to support the
old policy.

So if this is new policy, a much wider dissemination of it would be
welcomed, as it means we can purge this infrastructure from projects
like Nova.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague