[openstack-dev] [tc][appcat] The future of the App Catalog

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 12:42:57 UTC 2017

On 06/03/17 12:26 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>The App Catalog was created early 2015 as a marketplace of pre-packaged
>applications that you can deploy using Murano. Initially a demo by
>Mirantis, it was converted into an open upstream project team, and
>deployed as a "beta" as apps.openstack.org.
>
>Since then it grew additional categories (Glance images, Heat & Tosca
>templates), but otherwise did not pick up a lot of steam. The website
>(still labeled "beta") features 45 glance images, 6 Tosca templates, 13
>heat templates and 94 murano packages (~30% of which are just thin
>wrappers around Docker containers). Traffic stats show around 100 visits
>per week, 75% of which only read the index page.
>
>In parallel, Docker developed a pretty successful containerized
>application marketplace (the Docker Hub), with hundreds of thousands of
>regularly-updated apps. Keeping the App Catalog around (including its
>thinly-wrapped Docker container Murano packages) make us look like we
>are unsuccessfully trying to compete with that ecosystem, while
>OpenStack is in fact completely complementary.

This is the part I think is more important when thinking about App Catalog. As a
community, I think we should be working more and more with other communities.
Containers, in general, are a technology we've been embracing for a couple of
years already. We've talked about building bridges between the OpenStack
community and other containers community because we can indeed complement each
other.

I think this is a great opportunity for us to not only adopt an existing
marketplace but also for us to not re-invent the wheel when it comes to shipping
apps that can be consumed by people outside OpenStack. By building containers
for apps in our marketplace and using docker hub, we would not only be
standardazing what we have with an already-known format but we'd also be
building better bridges across the OpenStack community, Docker's community and other
COEs' communities.

As it stands right now, I'd be all for doing this change but I'm also curious to
know what other members (especially folks that have worked on App Catalog) think
about it.

Flavio

--
@flaper87