[openstack-dev] [ironic] state of the stable/mitaka branches

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu Mar 2 00:36:23 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 09:29:14PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2017-03-01 13:24:09 -0800 (-0800), Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> [...]
> > Other projects spent some time upfront and adopted constraints
> > quite a while ago. I am surprised that there are still stable
> > branches that don't do that.
> [...]
>
> Yep, I had to backport it for some oslo.middleware stable branches
> recently so we could get a security fix through. There are likely
> some still lurking out there we just haven't spotted because they
> receive new changes on those branches infrequently (or never).

So I did a quick grep and this is what I get:

BRANCH                           ALL    MERGED      OPEN      HELP      SKIP
origin/master                    252       231        15         2         4
origin/stable/ocata              202       184         0        14         4
origin/stable/newton             193       104         0        85         4
origin/stable/mitaka             168        71         0        93         4

This is based on repos that have opted into being managed by the thr
requirements team.

This shows that of the 252 repos that have an origin/master branch 231 have
merged constraints support, 15 have open reviews to do so 2 need some form of
help becuase they shoudl support constratints but they're difficult and 4
shoudln't support constraints.

The 4 projects in SKIP are:
openstack/requirements                                                          SKIP  !
openstack/tacker-horizon                                                        SKIP  !
openstack/tempest                                                               SKIP  !
openstack/tempest-lib                                                           SKIP  !

and there's certainly scope to re-evaluate that.  I suspect that
openstack/tacker-horizon should really be moved to the help section but this
was a quick "see how we're traveling" script.

You can see that the number of projects that need "HELP" gets higher as we get
to older releases.  For most of them it shoudl be a simple matter of
cherry-picking the patch on the nearest branch and then just using the correct
branch to thet the file form the requirements repo.

So clearly there's scope for projects teams and the requirements team to do
work here, but right now it isn't on the plan for this cycle.

Yours Tony.