[openstack-dev] [ironic] state of the stable/mitaka branches

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Wed Mar 1 19:15:36 UTC 2017

Greetings ironicers,

I'd like to discuss the state of the gates in ironic and other related
projects for stable/mitaka branch.

Today while making some test patches to old branches I discovered the
following problems:

python-ironicclient/stable/mitaka
All unit-test-like jobs are broken due to not handling upper constraints.
Because of it a newer than actually supported python-openstackclient is
installed, which already lacks some modules python-ironicclient tries to
import (these were moved to osc-lib).
I've proposed a patch that copies current way of dealing with upper
constraints in tox envs [0], gates are passing.

ironic/stable/mitaka
While not actually being gated on, using virtualbmc+ipmitool drivers is
broken. The reason is again related to upper constraints as what happens is
old enough version of pyghmi (from mitaka upper constraints) is installed
with most recent virtualbmc (not in upper constraints), and those versions
are incompatible.
This highlights a question whether we should propose virtualbmc to upper
constraints too to avoid such problems in the future.
Meanwhile a quick fix would be to hard-code the supported virtualbmc
version in the ironic's devstack plugin for mitaka release.
Although not strictly supported for Mitaka release, I'd like that
functionality to be working on stable/mitaka gates to test for upcoming
removal of *_ssh drivers.

I did not test other projects yet.

With all the above, the question is should we really fix the gates for the
mitaka branch now? According to OpenStack release page [1] the Mitaka
release will reach end-of-life on April 10, 2017.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439742/
[1] https://releases.openstack.org/#release-series

Cheers,
Dr. Pavlo Shchelokovskyy