[openstack-dev] [QA]Refactoring Scenarios manager.py

Luigi Toscano ltoscano at redhat.com
Wed Mar 1 13:15:12 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 13:35:26 CET Jordan Pittier wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 3:57 AM, Ghanshyam Mann <ghanshyammann at gmail.com>
>
> > 2. Start refactoring the scenario framework by adding more and more helper
> > function under /common or lib.
>
> Starting a "framework" (each time I see that word, I have a bad feeling)
> from scratch without users and usage is very very difficult. How do we know
> what we need in that framework and what will be actually used in tests ?
>
> The effort was called scenario refactoring and I think that's what we
> should do. We should not do "start from scratch scenarios" or "copy all the
> code and see what happens".
>
> There's no problem with plugins. We committed to have a stable interface
> which is documented and agreed upon. It's clearly written here
> https://docs.openstack.org/developer/tempest/plugin.html#stable-tempest-apis
> -plugins-may-use The rest is private, for Tempest internal use. If Tempest
> cores disagree with that, then we should first of all put a spec and
> rewrite that document.

All correct, except that some needed functions are only available as unstable
interface. So between not implementing a plugins and wait until all the
interfaces are available, or implementing something (so you know what people
needs, as you pointed out), the choice was to implement something with some
private interface. The transition can be handled gracefully for everyone and
going full-rage againt plugin maintainer is not really community-friendly.
Provide a transition path and people will follow (and if not, they have been
warned). The transition path was missing so far.

I approve Andrea's proposal.

--
Luigi