[openstack-dev] [nova] Pike PTG recap - notifications

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Wed Mar 1 11:34:19 UTC 2017

Hi,

We discussed couple of notification related items last week on the PTG
[1].

Searchlight related notification enhancements
We decided that the Extending versioned notifications for searchlight
integration blueprint [2] has high priority for Pike to help the
Nova-Searchlight integration which is needed for the cellv2 work. See
more details in the Matt's recap on the cells discussion [3].
Code is already in good shape for everything except the BDM part of the
bp.

Short circuit notification generation
-------------------------------------
We agreed that we want to avoid generating the notification payloads if
nova or oslo messaging is configured so that the actual notification
will not be sent. There will be no new configuration parameter to turn
off the notification payload generation and the existing
notification_format and oslo_messaging_notifications.driver
configuration parameters will be used in the implementation. A WIP
patch is already proposed [4].

Versioned notification transformation work
We agreed that it would help cores to review the patches if the subteam
could keep a short list (about 5 items)  of patches that the cores
should look at. So I will make sure that such a list will be up to date
on the priority etherpad [5].
Also we agreed that I will send out a short weekly mail about the items
in focus, similarly to the placement status mails. Also we hope that
the Nova-Searchlight integration will provide some focus and motivation
by showing the impact of this work.

Cheers,
gibi

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-ptg-pike