[openstack-dev] [monasca] cassandra support in Monasca

witold.bedyk at est.fujitsu.com witold.bedyk at est.fujitsu.com
Wed Mar 1 09:48:17 UTC 2017

Hi Pradeep,

HPE has investigated the use of Cassandra for Monasca and came to the conclusion that it is not a good choice. One of the problems is that Cassandra is not performant when querying across big data sets with many dimension key-value combinations. As KairosDB is based on Cassandra it suffers from the same problems.

The excerpt from KariosDB documentation [1]:

“So if you have a million tag/value combinations, phase 1 will always take a few seconds to complete. Phase 2 could be fast if you filter by tags so that only a few partitions are read or it could be slow if you have to read the data from all one million partitions.

How do you know if what you are planning is going to be fast enough? From our experience if you have 10's of thousands of tag combinations you will be fine. Once you start getting towards a million you will be in for trouble.”

The existing code for Cassandra is planned to be removed.

Greetings
Witek

[1] https://github.com/kairosdb/kairosdb/wiki/Query-Performance