[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Plan description in the create/update plan form

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Jun 29 21:28:09 UTC 2017

On 06/29/2017 07:25 AM, Ana Krivokapic wrote:
> Resending with the [tripleo] tag, sorry...
>
> On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Ana Krivokapic <akrivoka at redhat.com
> <mailto:akrivoka at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi TripleO devs,
>
>     I am working on adding a description field to the "Crate Plan" form
>     in the TripleO UI [1]. The goal is to make it possible for the user
>     to specify a plan description using a form field when creating a
>     plan. As the plan description lives in the plan-environment.yaml
>     file[2], the idea is to retrieve this value from
>     plan-environment.yaml when the user uploads the plan, populate the
>     form field with it, let the user change it, and then save it back to
>     the file.
>
>     I have a WIP patch up [3] which solves the issue in the case of
>     uploading the plan as a folder. However, I am having a hard time
>     solving the case of uploading the plan as a tarball. The issue is
>     obviously with accessing the contents of the tarball. Here are some
>     possible approaches that come to mind:
>
>     1) Use one of the existing third-party JS libraries that can extract
>     a tarball in the browser. Pros: front-end only solution, no need for
>     additional API calls, no need for back-end changes. Cons: adding a
>     new dependency, these libraries don't seem much maintained.
>
>     2) Use swift to upload and extract the tarball. Pros: no need for
>     back-end changes, we can just call the swift API. Cons: splitting
>     the tarball upload from plan creation, which should really be one
>     atomic operation.
>
>     3) Modify the plan create workflow to accept a plan description as a
>     parameter. Pros: keeps plan creation atomic. Cons: changes to the
>     plan create workflow interface needed. Also this way there is no way
>     to send back the information about the description to the UI, we
>     would have to just accept the value of the form field, and overwrite
>     whatever was in the plan-environment.yaml file.
>
>     Of course there is also a fourth option:
>
>     4) This is not worth the effort to implement and we should just drop
>     it. :)

So the user can update the description after the initial upload, right?
I wouldn't have a huge problem with just saying that you don't get the
description box pre-populated if you upload a binary format like tar.
It's not quite as ideal, but as long as there is some way to set the
description at some point in the process it should be fine until/unless
we decide to pursue a more complicated solution.