[openstack-dev] [all][tc] How to deal with confusion around "hosted projects"

Jimmy McArthur jimmy at openstack.org
Thu Jun 29 13:49:19 UTC 2017

Thierry Carrez wrote:
> The confusion I'm talking about is not the passive-aggressive from
> people involved in openstack. It's from our prospective new users, who
> have no idea about our governance, making random searches on Google.
> It's from people getting hit by marketing message from projects claiming
> to be official OpenStack projects, while they are not. It's extremely
> difficult for those to see clearly, especially with all our online
> presence reinforcing the confusion.
If there is specifically confusion around Google searches, I'd suggest
as a first step to spend some time working on redirects for dead
projects and very clearly updating documentation. For all of Google's
magic, there are some simple and easy rules to help correct bad search
data.

Additionally, we just implemented SwifType on OpenStack.org and docs.o.o
b/c Google deprecated their Site Search product. We have a ton of
control over that search and can very easily modify search results.

Let me know if I can be of service on any of these fronts.