[openstack-dev] [all][tc] How to deal with confusion around "hosted projects"

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 28 16:28:24 UTC 2017

Anita Kuno wrote:
> On 2017-06-28 10:50 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> For (1) we could have an "onboarding" project team that would help
>> incoming projects through the initial steps of becoming an openstack
>> project. The team would act as an umbrella team, an experimental area
>> for projects that have some potential to become an OpenStack project one
>> day. There would be a time limit -- if after one year(?) it looks like
>> you won't become an openstack project after all, the onboarding team
>> would clean you up. I actually think a bit more project mentoring would
>> serve us better than our current hands-free approach.
> Who is going to staff this team?
>
> I think a large reason that we are in the situation we are in is due to
> the fact that large corp can't see the importance of paying salaries for
> people to help others and keep things clean and tidy. They will foot the
> bill for building the thing, they tend to be reluctant to pay to keep
> things tidy and well maintained.
>
> I'm not saying it isn't a good idea. I felt the work was very valuable
> when I did it and I thought the community appreciated it a lot. But for
> the last year I have not had the benefit of an employer who feels there
> is enough value in this approach to pay my salary to do the work.
>
> Would be glad to be proven wrong.

At the TC level, we started to try to pair prospective teams with
mentors to help them through. I'm pretty sure current and past
volunteers on this task would be happy to help and seed that team.

It's not that much work, and it's work we end up doing anyway (questions
always get asked, they just get asked at awkward times in the
application process).

Currently the first contact we get is when a project team applies to
become an official project (which invariably comes too early). Engaging
earlier with a team of mentors sounds like it would save us a lot of
problems down the line, and clear out a lot of confusion with the process.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)