[openstack-dev] [Watcher] handle multiple data sources in watcher

Bin Zhou lakerzhou at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 13:57:30 UTC 2017

Vincent,

Thanks for your comment. Here is my understanding of the problem:
1. cloud operators will choose one particular metrics monitoring stack/source
but not multiple of them on the same target;
2. in the same cloud, it is possible that some compute are monitored
with Monasca, some computes are monitored with ceilometer, but it is
not the common deployment practice
3. In the same cloud, it is very rare that multiple monitoring stacks
run on the same compute - here is why: 1) larger performance overhead,
2) correlation between different data samples become difficult (due to
potentially different sampling intervals, and API interfaces), 3) not
scale;

Basically the design I proposed is to support all the three scenarios
above, but the implementation will be optimized for scenario #1 only.
1. define a global configuration of default monitoring stack, for example,
[Defaults]
default_metrics = Monasca
default_alarm = Monasca
metrics_engines = Monasca, Gnnochi, Ceilometer, ## list of metrics
engines in preference order

[Metrics]
Monasca_URL = ""
Gnnochi_URL = ""
[Alarms]
Monasca_URL = ""
Aodh= ""

[Events]

2. At the time when watcher starts, watcher read in all the
configurations and populated its internal data structure including the
preference and availability.
3. An abstract layer will be built for each data source. For
example, the following interfaces will be implemented for metrics
data source:
get_metrics_cpu()
get_metrics_io()
get_metrics_memory()
4. Each data source pliugin will implement the abstract interface. If the
plugin doesn't support the function, it will throw exceptions
5. A consumer of a service, will use the abstract interface to access
the service. Unless a caller specify a engine explicitly, the default
engine will be used. If the default engine does not support the
function, the call will be directed to the next available engine in
the preference order.

Please let me know what you think.

regards,
Bin