[openstack-dev] [docs][all][ptl] Contributor Portal and Better New Contributor On-boarding

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 21:18:44 UTC 2017

On 09:45 Jun 26, Alexandra Settle wrote:
> I think this is a good idea :) thanks Mike. We get a lot of people coming to
> the docs chan or ML asking for help/where to start and sometimes it’s
> difficult to point them in the right direction.
>
> Just from experience working with contributor documentation, I’d avoid all
> screen shots if you can – updating them whenever the process changes
> (surprisingly often) is a lot of unnecessary technical debt.

I understand and agree. This was a big selling point to contributors I've spoke
to about this though in avoid walls of text so it's actually something seeming
doable. Perhaps having a small number of steps to a page can still give the
reader a feeling they can finish it in five minutes or less?

> The docs team put a significant amount of effort in a few releases back
> writing a pretty comprehensive Contributor Guide. For the purposes you
> describe below, I imagine a lot of the content here could be adapted. The
> process of setting up for code and docs is exactly the same:
> http://docs.openstack.org/contributor-guide/index.html

Yes I've seen this content and do plan to adapt stuff over!

> I also wonder if we could include a ‘what is openstack’ 101 for new
> contributors. I find that there is a *lot* of material out there, but it is
> often very hard to explain to people what each project does, how they all
> interact, why we install from different sources, why do we have official and
> unofficial projects etc. It doesn’t have to be seriously in-depth, but an
> overview that points people who are interested in the right directions. Often
> this will help people decide on what project they’d like to undertake.

Wonderful idea. I cc'd Anne from the Openstack Foundation who is helping with
this effort. We will be discussing soon on incorporating 101 content over.

--
Mike Perez