[openstack-dev] [docs][all][ptl] Contributor Portal and Better New Contributor On-boarding

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jun 27 18:14:34 UTC 2017

On 2017-06-26 10:51:08 -0700 (-0700), Clark Boylan wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Boris Pavlovic wrote:
[...]
> > - When you try to contribute your first commit (if you already
> > created it, you won't be able unit you do git commit --ament, so
> > git review will add change-id)
>
> Git review should automatically do this last step for you if a change id
> is missing.

Except if you're trying to push multiple commits you made before
installing the hook (then you need to go back and --amend them one
by one so Gerrit will accept them). Note this may be similarly
confusing when we eventually switch from the ICLA to the DCO, where
Gerrit will start rejecting your commits if you weren't already in
the habit of putting signed-off-by footers in all your commit
messages. Actually more confusing because we can't reasonably
automate that step away for anyone (since it loses its legal intent
if we did).

[...]
> I think that Jeremy (fungi) has work in progress to tie electoral rolls
> to foundation membership via an external lookup api that was recently
> added to the foundation membership site. This means that we shouldn't
> need to check that gerrit account info matches foundation account info
> at CLA signing tiem anymore (at least this is my understanding, Jeremy
> can correct me if I am wrong).
>
> If this is the case it should make account setup much much simpler. You
> just add an ssh key and sign the cla without worrying about account
> details lining up.

Yes, but it _is_ going to significantly increase the risk of
contributors not qualifying to vote in technical elections or
receive event registration discounts if they choose (intentionally
or accidently) to not join the foundation or list different E-mail
addresses there vs. in Gerrit. We ought to preserve some means of
making sure they're still aware during onboarding that they might
want to take those extra steps.
--
Jeremy Stanley