[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] deprecating pollster-list option

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Tue Jun 27 13:25:02 UTC 2017

hi,

i'm proposing to deprecate/remove pollster-list config option. if you're
like me and wondering what this is, we apparently support ability to
filter pollsters loaded by polling agent[1].

the reason i'd like to deprecate is because we already have this
functionality in the polling|pipeline.yaml where you define what meters
you want to enable. having the ability to do it in two different places
causes conflict/confusion and i think the yaml path is probably the one
people know about and is the more logical path.

disclaimer: i also want to drop the pollster-list option because there's
a bug[2] related to it and i personally don't think it's worth fixing it.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/7eb37ace7012a203ed83bd27b57f3db6f59f4547/ceilometer/cmd/polling.py#L69-L73
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1603320

cheers,