[openstack-dev] [User-committee] [all][tc] Turning TC/UC workgroups into OpenStack SIGs

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 13:04:09 UTC 2017

There is a not insignificant degree of irony in the fact that this
conversation has splintered so that anyone only reading openstack-operators
and/or user-committee is missing 90% of the picture.... Maybe I just need a
new ML management strategy.

I'd like to add a +1 to Sean's suggestion about WG/SIG/team/whatever tags
on reviews etc. This is something I've also suggested in the past:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/user-committee/2016-October/001328.html.
My thinking at the time was that it would provide a tractable basis for
chairs to build standing discussion items around and help get more user &
ops eyes on blueprints/reviews/etc.

On 27 June 2017 at 10:25, Melvin Hillsman <mrhillsman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/21/2017 11:17 AM, Shamail Tahir wrote:
>>

>>> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org
>>> <mailto:thierry at openstack.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Shamail Tahir wrote:
>>>     > In the past, governance has helped (on the UC WG side) to reduce
>>>     > overlaps/duplication in WGs chartered for similar objectives. I
>>> would
>>>     > like to understand how we will handle this (if at all) with the
>>> new SIG
>>>     > proposa?
>>>
>>>     I tend to think that any overlap/duplication would get solved
>>> naturally,
>>>     without having to force everyone through an application process that
>>> may
>>>     discourage natural emergence of such groups. I feel like an
>>> application
>>>     process would be premature optimization. We can always encourage
>>> groups
>>>     to merge (or clean them up) after the fact. How much
>>>     overlaps/duplicative groups did you end up having ?
>>>

>>> Fair point, it wasn't many. The reason I recalled this effort was
>>> because we had to go through the exercise after the fact and that made the
>>> volume of WGs to review much larger than had we asked the purpose whenever
>>> they were created. As long as we check back periodically and not let the
>>> work for validation/clean up pile up then this is probably a non-issue.
>>>

>>>     > Also, do we have to replace WGs as a concept or could SIG
>>>     > augment them? One suggestion I have would be to keep projects on
>>> the TC
>>>     > side and WGs on the UC side and then allow for spin-up/spin-down
>>> of SIGs
>>>     > as needed for accomplishing specific goals/tasks (picture of a
>>> diagram
>>>     > I created at the Forum[1]).
>>>
>>>     I feel like most groups should be inclusive of all community, so I'd
>>>     rather see the SIGs being the default, and ops-specific or
>>> dev-specific
>>>     groups the exception. To come back to my Public Cloud WG example, you
>>>     need to have devs and ops in the same group in the first place before
>>>     you would spin-up a "address scalability" SIG. Why not just have a
>>>     Public Cloud SIG in the first place?
>>>

>>> +1, I interpreted originally that each use-case would be a SIG versus
>>> the SIG being able to be segment oriented (in which multiple use-cases
>>> could be pursued)
>>>

>>>      > [...]
>>>     > Finally, how will this change impact the ATC/AUC status of the SIG
>>>     > members for voting rights in the TC/UC elections?
>>>
>>>     There are various options. Currently you give UC WG leads the AUC
>>>     status. We could give any SIG lead both statuses. Or only give the
>>> AUC
>>>     status to a subset of SIGs that the UC deems appropriate. It's
>>> really an
> [...]

Cheers,
~Blairo