[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Turning TC/UC workgroups into OpenStack SIGs

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jun 27 11:47:55 UTC 2017

On 06/21/2017 01:10 PM, Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> One of key components which, imho, made SIGs successful in k8s is
> infrastructure behind it.
>
> When someone proposes an issue, they can tag SIG to it. Everyone in
> this SIG will be notified that there is an issue they might be
> interested it, they check it out and provide feedback. That also
> creates additional familiarity with dev toolset for non-dev sig
> members. I think what would be important for OpenStack SIGs to be
> successful is connecting SIGs to both Launchpad and Gerrit.

I think this is a key point. The simpler tools that github has, which
require that you build a workflow based on tags outside of the tools,
actually enables the effectiveness here.

Does k8s community currently have the same level of operators that
aren't developers participating as OpenStack?

I wonder if we're going down this path, if some kind of tooling like
standard tags for issues/patches should be added to the mix to help gain
the effectiveness that the k8s team seems to have here.

I also think it's fine to rebrand WG to SIG, but we should also be
honest that it's mostly a rebrand to consolidate on terminology that k8s
and cncf have used that people find easier to understand so it's a way
in which openstack is not different than those. Consolidating on terms
isn't a bad thing, but it's really a minor part of the workflow issue.

It might also be a good idea that any SIG that is going to be "official"
has the requirement that they write up a state of the sig every month or
two with what's done, what's happening, what's next, and what's
challenging. At a project the scale of OpenStack one of the biggest
issues is actually having a good grasp on the wide range of efforts, and
these summaries by teams are pretty critical to increasing the shared
understanding.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague