[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Move away from meeting channels

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Jun 26 13:58:54 UTC 2017

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017, Flavio Percoco wrote:

> So, should we let teams to host IRC meetings in their own channels?

Yes.

> Thoughts?

I think the silo-ing concern is, at least recently, not relevant on
two fronts: IRC was never a good fix for that and silos gonna be
silos.

There are so many meetings and so many projects there already are
silos and by encouraging people to use the mailing lists more we are
more effectively enabling diverse access than IRC ever could,
especially if the IRC-based solution is the impossible "always be on
IRC, always use a bouncer, always read all the backlogs, always read
all the meeting logs".

The effective way for a team not to be a silo is for it to be
better about publishing accessible summaries of itself (as in: make
more email) and participating in cross project related reviews. If
it doesn't do that, that's the team's loss.

Synchronous communication is fine for small groups of speakers but
that's pretty much where it ends.

--
Chris Dent                  ┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)       https://anticdent.org/