[openstack-dev] [Gnocchi] Difference between Gnocchi-api and uwsgi

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Thu Jun 22 22:57:16 UTC 2017

On 22/06/17 04:23 PM, mate200 at mailbox.org wrote:
> Hello everyone !
>
> I'm sorry that I'm disturbing you, but I was sent here from openstack-operators ML.
> On my Mitaka test stack I installed Gnocchi as database for measurements, but I have problems with
> api part. Firstly, I ran it directly executing gnocchi-api -p 8041. I noted the warning message and later rerun api
> using uwsgi daemon. The problem that I'm faced with is a connection errors that appears in ceilometer-collector.log
> approximately every 5-10 minutes:
>
> 2017-06-22 12:54:09.751 1846835 ERROR ceilometer.dispatcher.gnocchi ConnectFailure: Unable to establish connection to ht
> tp://10.10.10.69:8041/v1/resource/generic/c900fd60-0b65-57b5-a481-
> eaee8e116312/metric/network.incoming.bytes.rate/measures

is this failing on all your requests or just some? do you have data in
your gnocchi?

> I run uwsgi with the following config:
>
> [uwsgi]
> #http-socket = 127.0.0.1:8000
> http-socket = 10.10.10.69:8041

this should work but i imagine it's not behind a proxy so you could use
http instead of http-socket.

> # Set the correct path depending on your installation
> wsgi-file = /usr/local/bin/gnocchi-api
> logto = /var/log/gnocchi/gnocchi-uwsgi.log
>
> master = true
> die-on-term = true
> threads = 1
> # Adjust based on the number of CPU
> processes = 5
> enabled-threads = true
> thunder-lock = true
> plugins = python
> buffer-size = 65535
> lazy-apps = true
>

> I don't understand why this happens.
> Maybe I should point wsgi-file as /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnocchi/rest/app.wsgi ?

/usr/local/bin/gnocchi-api is correct... assuming it's in that path and
not /usr/bin/gnocchi-api

> Form uwsgi manual I read that direct parsing of http is slow. So maybe I need to use apache with uwsgi mod ?

not sure about this part. do you have a lot of metrics being pushed to
gnocchi? you can minimised connection requirements by setting
batch_size/batch_timeout for collector (i think mitaka should support
this?). i believe in the gate we have 2 processes assigned to uwsgi so 5
should be sufficient.

cheers,
--
gord