[openstack-dev] [Watcher] handle multiple data sources in watcher

Bin Zhou lakerzhou at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 13:39:33 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I am working on the blueprint
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/watcher/+spec/watcher-multi-datasource.
It is a good idea to construct an abstract layer and hide data source
details from the consumer of the data. But I have one doubt about the
possibility of using multiple metrics data sources at the same
deployment. Metrics instrumentation is not free, it comes with
overhead of CPU, memory, storage. Production deployment should always
avoid to use multiple monitoring tools for the same metrics.

I propose to have a default monitoring engine in  the watcher
configuration. In case that multiple monitoring engines are
configured, and a user has to collect different metrics from different
monitoring engine, the caller has to specify the engine explicitly to
avoid using the default engine.

Please let me know if you have any concerns or better solutions. Thanks!

Bin Zhou (lakerzhou)