[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jun 22 08:42:03 UTC 2017

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> [...]
> This is one of my biggest concerns as well where high-cost (in the
> sense of increasingly valuable Infra team member time) solutions are
> being tossed around to solve the "what's official?" dilemma, while
> not taking into account that the overwhelming majority of active Git
> repositories we're hosting _are_ already deliverables for official
> teams. I strongly doubt that just labelling the minority as
> unofficial will any any way lessen the overall confusion about the
> *more than one thousand* official Git repositories we're
> maintaining.

I'm not sure the issue is in the numbers. Yes, the "openstack" GitHub
org is not really navigable, and removing unofficial projects from it
won't change that a lot. Pinning some repositories will help a bit, but
our target should not be to make the github.org/openstack useful.

I think what we are trying to solve is someone googling for "github
openstack machine learning" and getting the following links:

https://github.com/openstack/meteos
https://github.com/openstack/cognitive

and then assuming those both are official OpenStack projects, looking up
Cognitive and realizing it's been dead for 2 years, and wondering why
OpenStack is full of completely dead projects.

If the "openstack" GitHub org was limited to official projects, the TC
indirectly controls what appears there. If we stopped automatically
mirroring unofficial projects, those would have a harder time marketing
themselves as official projects -- they would do their own marketing on
GitHub if they wanted to.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)