[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jun 22 08:33:42 UTC 2017

Sean Dague wrote:
> [...]
> I think even if it was only solvable on github, and not cgit, it would
> help a lot. The idea of using github project tags and pinning suggested
> by Lauren seems great to me.
>
> If we replicated the pinning on github.com/openstack to "popular
> projects" here - https://www.openstack.org/software/, and then even just
> start with the tags as defined in governance -
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/index.html it would
> go a long way.
>
> I think where the conversation is breaking down is realizing that
> different people process the information we put out there in different
> ways, and different things lock in and make sense to them. Lots of
> people are trained to perceive github structure as meaningful, because
> it is 98% of the time. As such I'd still also like to see us using that
> structure well, and mirroring only things we tag as official to
> github.com/openstack, and the rest to /openstack-ecosystem or something.
>
> Even if that's flat inside our gerrit and cgit environment.

I would even question the need for us to mirror the rest. Those are
hosted projects, if they want presence on GitHub they would certainly
welcome the idea of setting up an organization for their project. I
wouldn't be shocked to find a fuel-ccp or a stacktach GitHub org. And if
they don't care about their GitHub presence, then just don't do
anything. I'm not sure why we would make that choice for us.

Jeremy is right that the GitHub mirroring goes beyond an infrastructure
service: it's a marketing exercise, an online presence more than a
technical need. As such it needs to be curated, and us doing that for
"projects that are not official but merely hosted" is an anti-feature.
No real value for the hosted project, and extra confusion as a result.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)