[openstack-dev] [neutron][horizon][fwaas][vpnaas] fwaas/vpnaas dashboard split out

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 11:07:22 UTC 2017

First of all, IMHO this approach is not a requirement.
Each project can choose their preferred way.

# Hopefully all dashboards are listed in the horizon plugin registry
if you have a dashboard support.
# https://docs.openstack.org/developer/horizon/install/plugin-registry.html

The following is my thought and reason I chose a separate project for
fwaas/vpnaas dashboards. We just follow what most horizon plugins do.

I believe translation support in the dashboard is one of
important aspects. As my hat of I18 team, our rough user survey shows us
that the dashboard is the area users need translations most.
The translation script in our infra supports only a separate project model
(I am one of the author of the current script) and at now we have no plan to
enhance it unless some new volunteer who wants to explore it.
In case of the FWaaS/VPNaaS dashboard, we already support translation now
and would like to keep it without exploring a new way.

I don't talk about testing much here. It is a straight forward topic.

Another point is from the deployment perspective.
Deployers might want not to install unnecessary things. Neutron and horizon may
deploy different servers and they may not install unrelated stuff.
It also affect distro packaging. Packages may need to create a separate package
from one source: one for neutron plugin and the other for horizon plugin.

This is my view I personally prefer to a separate repository.

Thanks,
Akihiro