[openstack-dev] [trove][all][tc] A proposal to rearchitect Trove

Mark Kirkwood mark.kirkwood at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Jun 21 05:49:04 UTC 2017

On 21/06/17 02:08, Jay Pipes wrote:

> On 06/20/2017 09:42 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> Does "service VM" need to be a first-class thing?  Akanda creates
>> them, using a service user. The VMs are tied to a "router" which
>> is the billable resource that the user understands and interacts with
>> through the API.
>
> Frankly, I believe all of these types of services should be built as
> applications that run on OpenStack (or other) infrastructure. In other
> words, they should not be part of the infrastructure itself.
>
> There's really no need for a user of a DBaaS to have access to the
> host or hosts the DB is running on. If the user really wanted that,
> they would just spin up a VM/baremetal server and install the thing
> themselves.

Yes, I think this area is where some hard thinking would be rewarded. I
recall when I first met Trove, in my mind I expected to be 'carving off
a piece of database'...and was a bit surprised to discover that it
(essentially) leveraged Nova VM + OS + DB (no criticism intended - just
saying I was surprised). Of course after delving into how it worked I
realized that it did make sense to make use of the various Nova things
(schedulers etc)....*but* now we are thinking about re-architecting
(plus more options exist now), it would make sense to revisit this area.

Best wishes

Mark