[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Graham Hayes ghayes at suse.de
Mon Jun 19 15:54:07 UTC 2017

On 19/06/17 16:11, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 06/16/2017 05:18 AM, Graham Hayes wrote:

>>> Another way to look at it is how we see ourselves (as a community)
>>> and how people on the outside see OpenStack. I would imagine that
>>> someone looking at OpenStack for the first time would not care a whit
>>> about governance, repo locations, etc. They would certainly care
>>> about "what do I need to do to use this thing?"
>>>
>>> What we call things isn't confusing to those of us in the community -
>>> well, at least to those of us who take the time to read big long
>>> email threads like this. We need to be clearer in how we represent
>>> OpenStack to outsiders. To that end, I think that limiting the term
>>> "OpenStack" to a handful of the core projects would make things a
>>> whole lot clearer. We can continue to present everything else as a
>>> marketplace, or an ecosystem, or however the more marketing-minded
>>> want to label it, but we should *not* call those projects "OpenStack".
>>>
>>> Now I know, I work on Nova, so I'm expecting responses that "of
>>> course you don't care", or "OpenStack is people, and you're hurting
>>> our feelings!". So flame away!
>>
>> Where to start.
>>
>> Most of the small projects are not complaining about "hurt feelings".
>>
>> If the community want to follow advice from a certain tweet, and limit
>> OpenStack to Nova + its spinouts, we should do that. Just let the rest
>> of us know, so we can either start shutting down the projects, or look
>> at moving the projects to another foundation.
>>
>> Of course we should probably change the OpenStack mission statement,
>> and give the board a heads up that all these project teams they talk
>> about publicly will be going away.
>>
>> And, yes, coming from different project teams does mean that we will
>> have differing views on what should be in OpenStack, and its level of
>> priority - but (in my personal, biased opinion) we should not throw the
>> baby out with the bath water because we cannot find two names to
>> describe things.
>
> How about Designate become a standalone DNSaaS project that more than
> OpenStack can use? Kubernetes could use Designate as a DNS provider,
> then, in the same way that it can currently use Cinder as a
> PersistenVolume provider.

We already have that. Designate is usable without anything else
(although I would recommend keystone to make it manageable).

Designate is at its core an API that maintains DNS servers. Nearly all
of our current advanced integrations are from other projects to
Designate, and they just use this API.

Kubernetes just doesn't have the concept of external DNS providers
build in yet (there is a incubator project, but it seems new).

> Then there'd be no need to fret about a particular tweet.

Its not just one tweet. (See the parent of my email)

There are already repercussions of not being part of OpenStack for
project teams, and pending on the outcome of this discussion,
potentially more.

Also, Designate was not what I was thinking of when I wrote this,
I am working under the assumption that DNS is a core bit of
infrastructure, and hence would be in any "core". I am thinking
of the myriad of other projects that would then have to start hosting
docs, re-writing functional tests, potentially start building CI
systems.