[openstack-dev] [heat] Deprecate/Remove deferred_auth_method=password config option

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Jun 16 13:33:54 UTC 2017

On 16/06/17 05:09, Kaz Shinohara wrote:
> I still takes `deferred _auth_method=password` behalf of trusts because
> we don't enable trusts in the Keystone side due to some internal reason.

Free advice: whatever reason you have for not enabling trusts, storing
user passwords in the Heat database is 100x worse.

> The issues what you pointed are correct(e.g. user_domain_id), we don't
> use the domain well and also added some patches to skip those issues.

Why aren't those upstream?

> But I guess that the majority of heat users already moved to trusts and
> it is obviously better solution in terms of security and granular role
> control.
> As the edge case(perhaps), if a user want to take password auth, it
> would be too tricky for them to introduce it, therefore I agree your 2nd
> option.
>
> If we will remove the `deferred_auth_method=password` from heat.conf,
> should we keep `deferred_auth_method` self or will replace it to a new
> config option just to specify the trusts enable/disable ?  Do you have
> any idea on this?
> Also I'm thinking that `reauthentication_method` also might be
> changed/merged ?
>
> Regards,
> Kaz Shinohara

> <mailto:ramishra at redhat.com>>:

[snip]

>     I'm not sure whether this works with keystone v2 and anyone is using
>     it or not. Keeping in mind that heat-cli is deprecated and keystone
>     v3 is now the default, we've 2 options
>
>     1. Continue to support 'deferred_auth_method=passsword' option and
>     fix all the above issues.
>
>     2. Remove/deprecate the option in pike itlsef.
>
>     I would prefer option 2, but probably I miss some history and use
>     cases for it.

Am I right in thinking that any user (i.e. not just the [heat] service
user) can create a trust? I still see occasional requests about
'standalone mode' for clouds that don't have Heat available to users
(which I suspect is broken, otherwise people wouldn't be asking), and
I'm guessing that standalone mode has heretofore required
deferred_auth_method=password.

So if we're going to remove the option then we should probably either
officially disown standalone mode or rewrite the instructions such that
it can be used with the trusts method.

cheers,
Zane.