[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jun 15 22:28:59 UTC 2017

Excerpts from gordon chung's message of 2017-06-15 20:24:06 +0000:

> On 15/06/17 03:23 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> >
> > We are very open with our hosting, allowing projects that have not
> > yet, and may never, sign up to be governed by the TC to use our
> > infrastructure services. We expect them to be related in some way,
> > but we have even imported projects when we've taken over maintenance
> > (several Oslo libs fall into this category, as do a few others like
> > mox3 and sqlalchemy-migrate). With the move away from stackforge,
> > and other changes in that hosting (that were made for good reasons
> > to make the infra team's lives easier and to make it simpler for a
> > project to join the set of governed projects), we have removed most
> > of the other technical signals about which projects are in that
> > "official" list and which are not.  We did not at the same time
> > remove all of the people in the world who want to understand what
> > is, and what is not, "in" OpenStack.
>
> i see, so this is less an existential question of 'what is openstack'
> and more 'how to differentiate governance projects from a random repo
> created last weekend'
>
> this might have been just me, but big tent was exactly 'big tent ==
> governance' so when i read 'moving away from "big tent"' i think 'what
> is this *new* thing we're moving to and if we're redefining this new
> thing, what for?'. it seems this is not the case.

No. We're trying to pick new words, because there continues to be
confusion about the old words.

> > And for the record, from the TC's perspective, being a governed
> > project has nothing to do with whether the participants are sponsors
> > of the foundation.
>
> sorry, i probably wasn't clear, i simply noticed that it was a corporate
> sponsor that was misusing the 'big tent' name so was just thinking we
> could easily tell them, that's not what it means. wasn't suggesting
> anything else by sponsor comment.

You'd think it would be that easy. A surprising number of folks
within the community don't really understand the old naming either,
though (see the rest of this thread for examples).

Doug