[openstack-dev] [tc][fuel] Making Fuel a hosted project

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Jun 15 20:44:26 UTC 2017

On 06/15/2017 11:05 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 06/15/2017 11:56 AM, Ben Nemec wrote:
>> Full disclosure: I primarily work on TripleO so I do have a horse in
>> this race.

>>> While I personally agree that Fuel should be moved out of the official
>>> projects list, I'd like to point out that Triple-O is virtually entirely
>>> a Red Hat project:
>>>
>>> http://stackalytics.com/?module=tripleo-group
>>> http://stackalytics.com/?module=tripleo-group&metric=commits
>>>
>>> so the fact that a project is entirely run by a single vendor or "has
>>> popularity outside one vendor's customer base" has not been and
>>> continues not to be a deciding factor on whether something is an
>>> official OpenStack project or not.
>>
>> I don't believe the single vendor-ness of the project is the reason
>> it's being proposed for removal.  It's the fact that the single vendor
>> has all but dropped their support for it.  If Red Hat suddenly decided
>> they were pulling out of TripleO I'd expect the same response, but
>> that is not the case.
>
> Please see Jeremy's paragraph directly above my response. He
> specifically mentions single-vendor-ness as a reason for removal.
>
>>> I'd fully support the removal of all deployment projects from the
>>> "official OpenStack projects list".
>>
>> I would not.  Deployment of OpenStack remains one of the most
>> difficult to solve problems and I would be highly disappointed in the
>> community if they essentially washed their hands of it.
>
> This right here is the perfect example of what Thierry is getting at
> with the *perceived value* of the term "Big Tent" or "Official OpenStack
> project". :(
>
> What about having deployment projects be "non-official" or "ecosystem"
> or "community" projects means that "the community ... essentially washed
> their hands of it"? :( You are putting words in my mouth and making a
> false equivalence between "community project" and "of lesser value". And
> that's precisely the problem these terms: people read way too much into
> them.

The problem is that no matter what you call it, as long as you have two
groups, one that includes Nova, Neutron, etc. and one that doesn't, the
one that does is always going to be seen as more "important".  Even if
it's purely a perception thing (which I won't dispute), it's a
meaningful perception thing and I think moving the deployment projects
would send the wrong message.  Deployment tools are a critical part of
the OpenStack ecosystem and their categorization (whatever it ends up
being called) should reflect that.

Maybe part of the problem is the context of this discussion.  We moved
from talking about a largely abandoned project to all the deployment
projects, which (intentionally or not) draws some uncomfortable
parallels.  It also appears this is a discussion we should probably
table until the big tent terminology one is completed because until then
we're mostly debating our individual interpretation of the governance
model.  Once we're done redrawing the lines of demarcation in the
OpenStack community maybe the correct place for deployment projects will
be more obvious.  I doubt it, but one can hope :-).