[openstack-dev] [tc][fuel] Making Fuel a hosted project

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jun 15 20:09:52 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Jay Pipes's message of 2017-06-15 12:06:53 -0400:
> On 06/15/2017 11:59 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > Jay Pipes wrote:
> >> While I personally agree that Fuel should be moved out of the official
> >> projects list, I'd like to point out that Triple-O is virtually entirely
> >> a Red Hat project:
> >>
> >> http://stackalytics.com/?module=tripleo-group
> >> http://stackalytics.com/?module=tripleo-group&metric=commits
> >>
> >> so the fact that a project is entirely run by a single vendor or "has
> >> popularity outside one vendor's customer base" has not been and
> >> continues not to be a deciding factor on whether something is an
> >> official OpenStack project or not.
> >
> > Right, it's certainly not sufficient reason. The main difference between
> > the two is that activity in TripleO is actually growing, so there is
> > still a chance that it may attract a more diverse base in the future.
>
> Sure, it may very well be. My point was that team diversity isn't a
> defining characteristic of "officialness" in OpenStack. If it was, we'd
> have far fewer "official" projects.
>
> Best,
> -jay

Right. We said that we would not block projects from joining just
because the contributors were mostly coming from one source *because* we
wanted to let teams attract new contributors, and we were told that some
companies would only allow their employees to work on official projects.

In my mind, it is far more important that the project doesn't seem
very healthy/active right now. I would be happy to hear that I am
wrong in that impression, though.

Doug