[openstack-dev] [all][qa][glance] some recent tempest problems

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 17:04:39 UTC 2017

This isn't a glance-specific problem though we've encountered it quite
a few times recently.

Briefly, we're gating on Tempest jobs that tempest itself does not
gate on.  This leads to a situation where new tests can be merged in
tempest, but wind up breaking our gate. We aren't claiming that the
added tests are bad or don't provide value; the problem is that we
have to drop everything and fix the gate.  This interrupts our current
work and forces us to prioritize bugs to fix based not on what makes
the most sense for the project given current priorities and resources,
but based on whatever we can do to get the gates un-blocked.

As we said earlier, this situation seems to be impacting multiple projects.

One solution for this is to change our gating so that we do not run
any Tempest jobs against Glance repositories that are not also gated
by Tempest.  That would in theory open a regression path, which is why
we haven't put up a patch yet.  Another way this could be addressed is
by the Tempest team changing the non-voting jobs causing this
situation into voting jobs, which would prevent such changes from
being merged in the first place.  The key issue here is that we need
to be able to prioritize bugs based on what's most important to each
project.

We want to be clear that we appreciate the work the Tempest team does.
We abhor bugs and want to squash them too.  The problem is just that
we're stretched pretty thin with resources right now, and being forced
to prioritize bug fixes that will get our gate un-blocked is
interfering with our ability to work on issues that may have a higher
impact on end users.

The point of this email is to find out whether anyone has a better
suggestion for how to handle this situation.

Thanks!

Erno Kuvaja
Glance Release Czar

Brian Rosmaita