[openstack-dev] [tc][fuel] Making Fuel a hosted project

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 15:33:59 UTC 2017

On 06/15/2017 10:35 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2017-06-15 10:48:21 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
> [...]
>> I think that, despite the efforts of the Fuel team, Fuel did not become
>> what we hoped when we made it official: a universal installer that would
>> be used across the board. It was worth a try, I'm happy that we tried,
>> but I think it's time to stop considering it a part of "OpenStack"
>> proper and make it a hosted project. It can of course continue its
>> existence as an unofficial project hosted on OpenStack infrastructure.
>>
>> Thoughts ?
>
> I agree, it makes sense to be more clear as to the lack of
> community-wide support for that effort. Perhaps if its popularity
> increases outside one vendor's customer base to the point where
> contributions from a broader set of stakeholders emerge, we can once
> again evaluate its governance state.

While I personally agree that Fuel should be moved out of the official
projects list, I'd like to point out that Triple-O is virtually entirely
a Red Hat project:

http://stackalytics.com/?module=tripleo-group
http://stackalytics.com/?module=tripleo-group&metric=commits

so the fact that a project is entirely run by a single vendor or "has
popularity outside one vendor's customer base" has not been and
continues not to be a deciding factor on whether something is an
official OpenStack project or not.

I'd fully support the removal of all deployment projects from the
"official OpenStack projects list".

Best,
-jay