[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu Jun 15 14:12:32 UTC 2017

On 15/06/17 11:15 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>I'd like to propose that we introduce a new concept: "OpenStack-Hosted
>projects". There would be "OpenStack projects" on one side, and
>"Projects hosted on OpenStack infrastructure" on the other side (all
>still under the openstack/ git repo prefix). We'll stop saying "official
>OpenStack project" and "unofficial OpenStack project". The only
>"OpenStack projects" will be the official ones. We'll chase down the
>last mentions of "big tent" in documentation and remove it from our
>vocabulary.
>
>I think this new wording (replacing what was previously Stackforge,
>replacing what was previously called "unofficial OpenStack projects")
>will bring some clarity as to what is OpenStack and what is beyond it.

The wording sounds good to me. I've found that it's a bit unclear what projects
are part of OpenStack to folks that are not entirely familiar with the
terminology (regardless of the terminology). Stackforge made this very clear,
so, I wonder if we should find a better way to clarify what projects are Hosted
and what projects are part of OpenStack. So far we have badges, which were added
to some Readmes and they only show up on github so, badges might not be clear
enough. To be honest, I don't have an idea that I'm happy with but here are a
couple:

* Have an autogenerated (?) doc with the list of hosted services
* Update badges to reflect the terminology change
* Have a different documentation theme for hosted projects (?)

I'm not super happy with these ideas but I'm throwing them out there hoping that
we can brainstorm a bit on how we can do this and whether this is something we
really want/need to do.

Flavio

--
@flaper87