[openstack-dev] [tripleo] CI Squad Meeting Summary (week 23) - images, devmode and the RDO Cloud

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Tue Jun 13 20:20:22 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Attila Darazs <adarazs at redhat.com> wrote:
> If the topics below interest you and you want to contribute to the
> discussion, feel free to join the next meeting:
>
> Time: Thursdays, 14:30-15:30 UTC
> Place: https://bluejeans.com/4113567798/
>
> Full minutes: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-ci-squad-meeting
>
> We had a packed agenda and intense discussion as always! Let's start with an
> announcement:
>
> The smoothly named "TripleO deploy time optimization hackathlon" will be
> held on 21st and 22nd of June. It would be great to have the cooperation of
> multiple teams here. See the etherpad[1] for details.
>
> = Extending our image building =
>
> It seems that multiple teams would like to utilize the upstream/RDO image
> building process and produce images just like we do upstream. Unfortunately
> our current image storage systems are not having enough bandwidth (either
> upstream or on the RDO level) to increase the amount of images served.
>
> Paul Belanger joined us and explained the longer term plans of OpenStack
> infra, which would provide a proper image/binary blob hosting solution in
> the 6 months time frame.
>
> In the short term, we will recreate both the upstream and RDO image hosting
> instances on the new RDO Cloud and will test the throughput.

Also, you might want to read the future OpenStack guidelines for
managing releases of binary artifacts:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469265/

> = Transitioning the promotion jobs =
>
> This task still needs some further work. We're missing feature parity on the
> ovb-updates job. As the CI Squad is not able to take responsibility for the
> update functionality, we will probably migrate the job with everything else
> but the update part and make that the new promotion job.

I don't think we need to wait on the conversion to switch.
We could just configure the promotion pipeline to run ovb-oooq-ha and
ovb-updates; and put the conversion in a parallel effort. Isn't?

> We will also extend the amount of jobs voting on a promotion, probably will
> the scenario jobs.

+1000 for having scenarios. Let's start by classic deployment, and
then later we'll probably add upgrades.

> = Devmode =
>
> Quickstart's devmode.sh seems to be picking up popularity among the TripleO
> developers. Meanwhile we're starting to realize the limitations of the
> interface it provides for Quickstart. We're going to have a design session
> next week on Tuesday (13th) at 1pm UTC where we will try to come up with
> some ideas to improve this.
>
> Ian Main suggested to default devmode.sh to deploy a containerized system so
> that developers get more familiar with that. We agreed on this being a good
> idea and will follow it up with some changes.
>
> = RDO Cloud =
>
> The RDO cloud transition is continuing, however Paul requested that we don't
> add the new cloud to the tripleo queue upstream but rather use the
> rdoproject's own zuul and nodepool to be a bit more independent and run it
> like a third party CI system. This will require further cooperation with RDO
> Infra folks.
>
> Meanwhile Sagi is setting up the infrastructure needed on the RDO Cloud
> instance to run CI jobs.
>
> Thank you for reading the summary. Have a great weekend!

Thanks for the report, very useful as usual.

> Best regards,
> Attila
>
> [1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-deploy-time-hack

Emilien Macchi