[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Ansible roles repo and how to inject them into the overcloud

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Tue Jun 13 19:42:35 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Juan Antonio Osorio
<jaosorior at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I would like to know if there are thoughts about where to put
> tripleo-specific ansible roles.
>
> I've been working lately on a role that would deploy ipsec tunnels for most
> networks in an overcloud [1]. And I think that would be quite useful for
> folks as an alternative to TLS everywhere. However, I don't know in what
> TripleO repository I could put that role. Any ideas?
>
> Also, I know I could call that from a composable service (although I would
> need that to be ran after the puppet steps so maybe I'll need an extra
> hook). However, is there any recommended way right now on how to inject
> extra ansible roles into the overcloud nodes? If not, maybe a dedicated hook
> to do this kind of thing would be something useful for others as well.
>
> Any thoughts?

General answer (not only for your module):

- If the module can be used by anyone in Ansible community (and not
only in TripleO), push it to be in Ansible Modules Extras:
https://github.com/ansible/ansible-modules-extras
- If it's rejected from Ansible Modules Extras, you can host it on
your own namespace or use redhat-openstack. Example with
https://github.com/redhat-openstack/ansible-pacemaker.
- If it's something TripleO (which means you can run the roles /
module only in a TripleO environment): I would suggest to move it
under OpenStack namespace, under TripleO umbrella, to have a
consistent governance, CI and release management.

I hope this short answer helped. Please give any feedback.

Thanks,

> [1] https://github.com/JAORMX/tripleo-ipsec
>
> --
> Juan Antonio Osorio R.