[openstack-dev] [infra][deb-packaging] Stop using track-upstream for deb projects

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Tue Jun 13 13:01:09 UTC 2017

Greetings,

I'd like to propose we stop using track-upstream for project-config on
deb-packaging projects. It seems there is no active development on these
projects currently and by using track-upstream we currently wasting both CI
resources and HDD space keeping their projects in sync with there upstream
openstack projects.

Long term, we don't actually want to support the behavior. I propose we stop
doing this today, and if somebody steps up to continue the effort on packaging
our release we then progress forward with out the need of track-upstream.

Effectively, track-upstream duplicates the size of a projects git repo. For
example, if deb-nova is setup to track-upstream of nova, we copy all commits and
import them into deb-nova. This puts unneeded pressure on our infrastructure
moving forward, the git overlay option for gbp is likely the solution we could
use.

-- Paul