[openstack-dev] [all][tc][glance] Glance needs help, it's getting critical

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jun 12 19:37:51 UTC 2017

On 06/12/2017 03:20 PM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
<snip>
> Could you please elaborate more on why you think switching code bases is
> going
> to solve the current problem? In your email you talked about Glance's
> over-engineered code as being the thing driving people away and while I
> disagree
> with that statement, I'm wondering whether you really think that's the
> motivation or there's something else.
>
> Let's not talk about proxy API's or ways we would migrate users. I'd
> like to
> understand why *you* (or others) might think that a complete change of
> projects
> is a good solution to this problem.
>
> Ultimatedly, I believe Glance, in addition to not being the "sexiest"
> project in
> OpenStack, is taking the hit of the recent lay-offs, which it kinda
> managed to
> avoid last year.

As someone from the outside the glance team, I'd really like to avoid
the artifacts path. I feel like 2 years ago there was a promise that if
glance headed in that direction it would bring in new people, and
everything would be great. But, it didn't bring in folks solving the
class of issues that current glance users are having. 80+ GB disk images
could be classified as a special case of Artifacts, but it turns
optimizing for their specialness is really important to a well
functioning cloud.

Glance might not be the most exciting project, but what seems to be
asked for is help on the existing stuff. I'd rather focus there.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net