[openstack-dev] [all][tc][glance] Glance needs help, it's getting critical

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Jun 9 17:07:28 UTC 2017

(sorry if duplicate, having troubles with email)

Hi Team,

I've been working a bit with the Glance team and trying to help where I can
and
I can't but be worried about the critical status of the Glance team.
Unfortunately, the number of participants in the Glance team has been
reduced a
lot resulting in the project not being able to keep up with the goals, the
reviews required, etc.[0]

I've always said that Glance is one of those critical projects that not many
people notice until it breaks. It's in every OpenStack cloud sitting in a
corner
and allowing for VMs to be booted. So, before things get even worse, I'd
like us to brainstorm a bit on what solutions/options we have now.

I know Glance is not the only project "suffering" from lack of contributors
but
I don't want us to get to the point where there won't be contributors left.

How do people feel about adding Glance to the list of "help wanted" areas of
interest?

Would it be possible to get help w/ reviews from folks from teams like
nova/cinder/keystone? Any help is welcomed, of course, but I'm trying to
think
about teams that may be familiar with the Glance code/api already.

Cheers,
Flavio

[0] http://stackalytics.com/?module=glance-group&metric=marks
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/466684/