[openstack-dev] [tripleo][ironic] Hardware provisioning testing for Ocata

Justin Kilpatrick jkilpatr at redhat.com
Thu Jun 8 12:21:38 UTC 2017

Morning everyone,

I've been working on a performance testing tool for TripleO hardware
provisioning operations off and on for about a year now and I've been
using it to try and collect more detailed data about how TripleO
performs in scale and production use cases. Perhaps more importantly
YODA (Yet Openstack Deployment Tool, Another) automates the task
enough that days of deployment testing is a set it and forget it
operation.

You can find my testing tool here [0] and the test report [1] has
links to raw data and visualization. Just scroll down, click the
capcha and click "go to kibana". I  still need to port that machine
from my own solution over to search guard.

If you have too much email to consider clicking links I'll copy the
results summary here.

TripleO inspection workflows have seen massive improvements from
Newton with a failure rate for 50 nodes with the default workflow
falling from 100% to <15%. Using patches slated for Pike that spurious
failure rate reaches zero.

Overcloud deployments show a significant improvement of deployment
speed in HA and stack update tests.

Ironic deployments in the overcloud allow the use of Ironic for bare
metal scale out alongside more traditional VM compute. Considering a
single conductor starts to struggle around 300 nodes it will be
difficult to push a multi conductor setup to it's limits.

Finally Ironic node cleaning, shows a similar failure rate to
inspection and will require similar attention in TripleO workflows to
become painless.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/384530/
[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/194ww0Pi2J-dRG3-X75mphzwUZVPC2S1Gsy1V0K0PqBo/

Thanks for your time!