[openstack-dev] [Nova] Deprecating localfs?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Jun 8 03:20:29 UTC 2017

Greetings from an ancient thread (but the most recent on to openstack-dev
about localfs that I can find).

In 2014, which were heady times, we decided that we couldn't deprecate
nova.virt.disk.vfs.localfs because we theorised that FreeBSD and containers
would soon need it. Oh, and xenapi uses it a little too.

It is now three years later, and there has been some recent thought given
to deprecating localfs again, which I bumped into when I chose this code as
the first candidate for a prototype privsep user inside the nova codebase
[1].

I think we therefore need to have this conversation again. Do we still have
any clear use cases for localfs? Where does guestfs not run at the moment?
Or did I waste my time privsep'ing localfs?

Thanks,
Michael

1: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459166/

--