[openstack-dev] [tc][ptls][all] Potential Queens Goal: Migrate Off Paste

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 18:14:37 UTC 2017

Can we make this (at least) two (community?) goals?

#1 Make a thing that is not paste that is better than paste (i.e. > works,
ie >= works & is maintained)
#2 Have some people/projects "migrate" to it

If the goal is just "take over paste maintenance" that's maybe ok - but is
that an "OpenStack community" goal or just something that someone who has
the bandwidth to do could do?  It also sounds cheaper and probably about as
good.

Alternatively we can just keep using paste until we're tired of working
around it's bugs/limitations - and then replace it with something in tree
that implements only 100% of what the project using it needs to get done -
then if a few projects do this and they see they're maintaining similar
code they could extract it to a common library - but iff sharing their
complexity isolated behind an abstraction sounds better than having
multiple simpler and more agile ways to do similar-ish stuff - and only
*then* make a thing that is not paste but serves a similar use-case as
paste and is also maintained and easy to migrate too from paste.  At which
point it might be reasonable to say "ok, community, new goal, if you're not
already using the thing that's not paste but does about the same as paste -
then we want to organize some people in the community experienced with the
effort of such a migration to come assist *all openstack projects* (who use
paste) in completing the goal of getting off paste - because srly, it's
*that* important"

-Clay