[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [dev] [doc] Operations Guide future

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Fri Jun 2 12:53:04 UTC 2017

I'm okay with option 3.

Since we hadn't heard from anyone yet who can do the work, I thought I'd
describe a super small experiment to try. If you're interested in the
export, run an experiment with Pandoc to convert from RST to Mediawiki.
http://pandoc.org/demos.html

You'll likely still have cleanup but it's a start. Only convert
troubleshooting to start, which gets the most hits: docs.openstack.org/
ops-guide/ops-network-troubleshooting.html
Then see how much you get from Pandoc.

Let us know how it goes, I'm curious!
Anne

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 4:03 AM, Alexandra Settle <a.settle at outlook.com>
wrote:

> Blair – correct, it was the majority in the room. I just wanted to reach
> out and ensure that operators had a chance to voice opinions and see where
> we were going (
>
> Sounds like option 3 is still the favorable direction. This is going to be
> a really big exercise, lifting the content out of the repos. Are people
> able to help?
>
> Thanks everyone for getting on board (
>
> On 6/2/17, 2:44 AM, "Blair Bethwaite" <blair.bethwaite at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi Alex,
>
>     Likewise for option 3. If I recall correctly from the summit session
>     that was also the main preference in the room?
>
>     On 2 June 2017 at 11:15, George Mihaiescu <lmihaiescu at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>     > +1 for option 3
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > On Jun 1, 2017, at 11:06, Alexandra Settle <a.settle at outlook.com>
> wrote:
>     >
>     > Hi everyone,
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > I haven’t had any feedback regarding moving the Operations Guide to
> the
>     > OpenStack wiki. I’m not taking silence as compliance. I would really
> like to
>     > hear people’s opinions on this matter.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > To recap:
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Option one: Kill the Operations Guide completely and move the
> Administration
>     > Guide to project repos.
>     > Option two: Combine the Operations and Administration Guides (and
> then this
>     > will be moved into the project-specific repos)
>     > Option three: Move Operations Guide to OpenStack wiki (for ease of
>     > operator-specific maintainability) and move the Administration Guide
>     > project repos.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Personally, I think that option 3 is more realistic. The idea for
> the last
>     > option is that operators are maintaining operator-specific
> documentation and
>     > updating it as they go along and we’re not losing anything by
> combining or
>     > deleting. I don’t want to lose what we have by going with option 1,
> and I
>     > think option 2 is just a workaround without fixing the problem – we
> are not
>     > getting contributions to the project.
>     >
>     >
> [...]

Read my blog: justwrite.click <https://justwriteclick.com>
Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com