[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-wg/news

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Thu Jun 1 18:00:07 UTC 2017

Greetings OpenStack community,

A very lively meeting today, with all the participants in a seemingly jovial mood. Must be something in the water. Or maybe June just brings out lightheartedness.

Much of the discussion centered on Monty Taylor's chain of patches [4] regarding version discovery and the service catalog. No controversy about them, but some grumbling over the sheer volume of content. This isn't a complaint; rather, I think we are in awe of the size of the brain dump as Monty shares his accumulated knowledge. We can use some help reviewing these, so that they are as understandable as such esoteric material can possibly be.

We also discussed the proposed change to the microversions guideline about how to signal an upcoming raising of the minimum version [5]. There was agreement that having such a signal was a good thing, but there is still some confusion about how to communicate when this change will happen. The idea is that it isn't enough to say that it's going to be raised; it's also important to communicate how long a user has to update their code to handle this raising. We came up with adding a field that states the earliest possible date of the change, with the understanding that it could happen later than that. This was to help users get an idea of the urgency of the change. So while we can agree on that, as usual it is the naming of the field that is problematic. The current choice is 'not_raise_min_before', but we're open to improvements. Let the bikeshedding begin!

# Newly Published Guidelines

Nothing new at this time.

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.

None at this time but please check out the reviews below.

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* Microversions: add next_min_version field in version body
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/446138/

* A suite of several documents about using the service catalog and doing version discovery
  Start at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/462814/

* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready for review)
  https://review.openstack.org/444892

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API WG, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API WG mission and the work we do, see OpenStack API Working Group [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!