[openstack-dev] [qa][tc][all] Tempest to reject trademark tests

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Thu Jun 1 05:58:21 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 12:32:03PM +0900, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Matthew Treinish <mtreinish at kortar.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 04:24:14PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> >> On 2017-05-31 17:18:54 +0100 (+0100), Graham Hayes wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> This I agree with. However I'll be surprised if a majority of the QA
> >> team disagree on this point (logistic concerns with how to curate
> >> this over time I can understand, but that just means they need to
> >> interest some people in working on a manageable solution).
> >
> > +1 I don't think anyone disagrees with this. There is a logistical concern
> > with the way the new proposed programs are going to be introduced. Quite
> > frankly it's too varied and broad and I don't think we'll have enough people
> > working on this space to help maintain it in the same manner.
> >
> > It's the same reason we worked on the plugin decomposition in the first place.
> > You can easily look at the numbers of tests to see this:
> >
> > https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mtreinish/qa-in-the-open/lca2017/tests_per_proj.png
> >
> > Which shows things before the plugin decomposition (and before the big tent) Just
> > because we said we'd support all the incubated and integrated projects in tempest
> > didn't mean people were contributing and/or the tests were well maintained.
> >
> > But, as I said elsewhere in this thread this is a bit too early to have the
> > conversation because the new interop programs don't actually exist yet.
>
> Yes, there is no question on goal to have a unified process for all.
> As Jeremy, Matthew mentioned, key things here is manageability issues.
>
> We know contributors in QA are reducing cycle by cycle. I might be
> thinking over but I thought about QA team situation when we have
> around 30-40 trademark projects and all tests on Tempest
> repo.Personally I am ok to have tests in Tempest repo or a dedicated
> interop plugin repo which can be controlled by QA at some level But we

I actually don't think a dedicated interop plugin is a good idea. It doesn't
actually solve anything, because the tests are going to be the same and the
same people are going to be maintaining them. All you did was move it into a
different repo which solves none of the problems. What I was referring to was
exploring a more distributed approach to handling the tests (like what we did
for plugin decomposition for higher level services) That is the only way I see
us addressing the work overload problem. But, as I said before this is still
too early to talk about because there aren't defined new programs yet, just
the idea for them and a rough plan. We're still talking very much in the
abstract about everything...

-Matt Treinish