[openstack-dev] [qa][tc][all] Tempest to reject trademark tests (was: more tempest plugins)

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Thu Jun 1 00:30:14 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 03:45:52PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2017-05-31 15:22:59 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > On 2017-05-31 09:43:11 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > [...]
> > > it's news to me that they're considering reversing course. If the
> > > QA team isn't going to continue, we'll need to figure out what
> > > that means and potentially find another group to do it.
> >
> > I wasn't there for the discussion, but it sounds likely to be a
> > mischaracterization. I'm going to assume it's not true (or much more
> > nuanced) at least until someone responds on behalf of the QA team.
> > This particular subthread is only going to go further into the weeds
> > until it is grounded in some authoritative details.
>
> Apologies for replying to myself, but per discussion[*] with Chris
> in #openstack-dev I'm adjusting the subject header to make it more
> clear which particular line of speculation I consider weedy.
>
> Also in that brief discussion, Graham made it slightly clearer that
> he was talking about pushback on the tempest repo getting tests for
> new trademark programs beyond "OpenStack Powered Platform,"
> "OpenStack Powered Compute" and "OpenStack Powered Object Storage."

TBH, it's a bit premature to have the discussion. These additional programs do
not exist yet, and there is a governance road block around this. Right now the
set of projects that can be used defcore/interopWG is limited to the set of
projects in:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/tc_approved-release.html

We had a forum session on it (I can't find the etherpad for the session) which
was pretty speculative because it was about planning the new programs. Part of
that discussion was around the feasibility of using tests in plugins and whether
that would be desirable. Personally, I was in favor of doing that for some of
the proposed programs because of the way they were organized it was a good fit.
This is because the proposed new programs were extra additions on top of the
base existing interop program. But it was hardly a definitive discussion.

We will have to have discussions about how we're going to actually implement
the additional programs when we start to create them, but that's not happening
yet.

-Matt Treinish