[openstack-dev] [nova]notification update week 31

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Mon Jul 31 08:23:56 UTC 2017

Hi,

Here is the status update / focus setting mail about notification work
for week 31.

Bugs
----
[Low] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1696152 nova notifications
use nova-api as binary name instead of nova-osapi_compute
Agreed not to change the binary name in the notifications. Instead we
make an enum for that name to show that the name is intentional.
The patch was split to two parts:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/487126 rename binary to source in
versioned notifications
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/476538 Use enum value instead of
string service name

[Medium] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1699115 api.fault
notification is never emitted
Still no response on the ML thread about the way forward.
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/118639.html

[High] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1706563
TestRPC.test_cleanup_notifier_null fails with timeout
[High] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1685333 Fatal Python error:
Cannot recover from stack overflow. - in py35 unit test job
The first bug is just a duplicate of the second. It seems the TetRPC
test suite has a way to end up in an infinite recusion. Can we somehow
tell python not to truncate the stack trace in this case to see where
the infinite recursion starts?

[Undecided] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1706533
TestInstanceNotificationSample.test_rebuild_server_exc fails with
testtools.matchers._impl.MismatchError: 2 != 1
Yet another notification sample test instability. Fix is under review:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/487382/

Versioned notification transformation
-------------------------------------
As Pike FF happened I will open a new bp for Queens to track the
remaining work there.

Searchlight integration
-----------------------
I will open a follow up bp for Queens. There are follow up patches to
be moved there:
* There are a set of patches for the BDM addition to optimize the
payload generation but these are not mandatory for the functionality
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/483324/
* There was a late request from Searchlight to provide 'status' field
in the instance notifications as well. See the discussion on the ML
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-July/119891.html
There is WIP patch with the solution but we are running out of time
with that https://review.openstack.org/#/c/485525/

Small improvements
------------------
These improvements are test and doc generation only so probably not
affected by the FF.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/428199/ Improve assertJsonEqual
error reporting.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:refactor-notification-samples
Factor out duplicated notification sample data
This is a start of a longer patch series to deduplicate notification
sample data. The third patch already shows how much sample data can be
deleted from nova tree. We added a minimal hand rolled json ref
implementation to notification sample test as the existing python json
ref implementations are not well maintained.

Weekly meeting
As Pike FF happened I suggest to skip this week's meeting. Please
disagree in a reply if you have items to discuss.

Cheers,
gibi