[openstack-dev] [docs][release][stable][ptl][infra] Strategic discussion regarding the future of documentation for EOL releases

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Jul 28 12:36:05 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2017-07-28 12:29:29 +0200:
> On 07/28/2017 09:12 AM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> > On 2017-07-27 21:40, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> Please encourage everyone there to explore options that require the
> >> least amount of effort. An ideal solution is one we can implement
> >> without heroic efforts or having to recruit an army of contributors.
> >
> > I agree with the points made in general and want to stress we need
> > something that reduces our efforts.
> >
> > Two more ideas:
> >
> > 1) What about enhancing the openstackdocstheme to automatically add a
> > watermark if we publish a stable branch document?
> > Like on https://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/config-reference/ - which also
> > includes a warning that the branch is EOL. What about adding at *start*
> > of a branch a message to the index page like "This is the document for
> > the SERIES release. Please see https://releases.openstack.org/ whether
> > the SERIES release is still supported by the OpenStack community."
>
> Or we can use a similar approach with repository badges, and include an image
> with URL like https://releases.openstack.org/is-supported/ocata.png, which will
> turn red when ocata goes EOL.

Ooo, I like *that*. It lets us generate the updated status badge from a
repo that will always be active and isn't likely to get into a state
where we can't land patches, like some of our older stable branches have
a tendency to do.

Doug