[openstack-dev] [Nova] Broken nova-lxd

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Jul 28 11:05:25 UTC 2017

On 07/28/2017 12:58 AM, Tony Breeds wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:55:53AM +0800, ChangBo Guo wrote:
>> For the specific case with method "last_bytes",  it's also used  in other
>> projects [1], an alternative solution is that add this method in
>> oslo.utils.fileutils, then consume it from oslo.
>>
>> [1] http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=last_bytes&i=nope&files=&repos=
>
> That does look like a thing that a number of projects could use.
>
> I'm not certain about the interaction with privsep
> (https://review.openstack.org/472229)  But it is something that worth
> looking at when we open again for queens.

I think it's also really important to set expectations though that the
internals of Nova are the internals of Nova. They are subject to change
and refactoring at any time. Just because a particular module has not
changed in 4 years, doesn't mean it's not being radically changed tomorrow.

Part of the reason to do the hard work of getting a Nova driver upstream
is that you don't have any of these issues, because the Nova team will
prevent things from breaking your driver (or fix it themselves).
Choosing to do a driver out of tree is not recommended and comes with
all of these risks.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague