[openstack-dev] [all] [oslo.db] [relational database users] heads up for a MariaDB issue that will affect most projects

Michael Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Thu Jul 27 14:10:00 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 3:23 AM, ChangBo Guo <glongwave at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the follow up, maybe we need document the issue and work around
> in some place, in alembic?

So yes, there's a whole bunch implied by this:

1. SQLAlchemy knows how to reflect CHECK constraints.  Since MariaDB
supports these as of 10.2, SQLAlchemy itself would need to learn to
read these for MariaDB; on all MySQL/MariaDB versions right now there
is no logic to do this since CHECK constraints are not persisted.

The usual approach taken in Openstack migration scripts when they have
to navigate around constraints is to use inspector / reflection to
read things about constraints and indexes into the Python application,
make decisions, then emit statements as a result.    This approach
would not be possible until SQLAlchemy implements this, or we add
helpers into oslo.db that do something similar.

2. Microsoft SQL Server has this same limitation, e.g. that you can't
drop a column that has a CHECK on it.   Over there, Alembic includes a
feature that generates SQL to detect the name of this constraint and
then drop the constraint of that name.  What is very useful about how
it is done in this case is that it is all within a server-side SQL
script that does the whole locate / drop without any round trips.   If
something similar could be implemented for MySQL/MariaDB, preferably
something that runs without error on all MySQL variants, it would be
just a simple bit of boilerplate that has to run before you drop a
column, and this is the kind of thing we could possibly bundle as a
"mysql_drop_check" flag for the drop_column() operation.

3. if the name of this CHECK constraint is known up front, it's much
easier to just emit "DROP CONSTRAINT xyz".   But it's not clear that
all openstack projects are sending out names for CHECK constraints in
particular the one that sneaks out when the Boolean datatype is used.
 Applying predictable names to the CHECK constraints retroactively of
course means you need to do something like #1 or #2 to find them.

4. *maybe* mariadb's CHECK constraint here already has a predictable
name.   I'd have to get a 10.2 instance running and see what it comes
up with.