[openstack-dev] [zun][api version]Does anyone know the idea of default api version in the versioned API?

Hongbin Lu hongbin.lu at huawei.com
Thu Jul 27 06:41:58 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Here is a bit of the context. Zun has introduced API micro version in the server [1] and the client [2]. The micro version needs to be bumped in server side [3] as long as a backward-incompatible change is made. In client side, we currently hard-code the default version. The client will pick the default version unless the version is explicitly specified.

As far as I know, the openstack community doesn’t have consensus on the specification of the default API version. Some projects picked a stable version as default, and other projects picked the latest version. How to bump the default version is also controversial. If the default version is hard-coded, it might need to be bumped every time a change is made. Alternatively, there are some workarounds to avoid the hard-code default version. Each approach has pros and cons.

For Zun, I think the following options are available (refer this spec [4] if you interest to read more details):
1. Negotiate the default version between client and server, and pick the maximum version that both client and server are supporting.
2. Hard-code the default version and bump it manually or periodically (how to bump it periodically?)
3. Hard-code the default version and keep it unchanged.
4. Pick the latest version as default.

Thoughts on this?

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/zun/+spec/api-microversion
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/zun/+spec/api-microversion-cli